Regardless of Their Size, Retailers Can Influence Shoppers by Following Five Key Strategies
LIVONIA, Mich., Nov. 15, 2017: Valassis, a leader in intelligent media delivery, today shares best practices for small- and medium-sized businesses (SMBs) to succeed in a highly competitive holiday shopping environment.
The holiday season is critical for retailers of all sizes not just for big box stores or e-commerce giants, with Small Business Saturday falling during the busy shopping weekend on Nov. 25 this year. In 2016, nearly 12 percent of in-store shoppers visited small businesses over Thanksgiving weekend, according to the National Retail Federation.
“Small Business Saturday puts the spotlight on SMBs, but the value these local retailers offer extends throughout the holiday shopping season and beyond,” said Steve Hauber, President, Valassis Local Solutions. “By incorporating best practices larger brands have found successful, SMBs can also secure their spot in shoppers’ considerations this season. It’s all about getting to know the consumer, reaching them with timely and relevant offers along their purchase journey as well as creating an enjoyable shopping experience.”
As Valassis research indicates, consumers want deals that help them save and, by catering to shoppers’ preferences, all retailers have an opportunity to compete. A RetailMeNot survey found that 48 percent will shop in a store based on the deals they find.
With these things in mind, small businesses should consider the following to become the destination for shoppers this holiday season:
- Offer print and digital deals. A Valassis survey found that 41 percent of value-seekers use an equal mix of print and digital coupons to save. In the same Valassis survey, 57 percent of respondents said they had visited a business after receiving an offer on their mobile device when they were near that location.
- Compete on price. Don’t lose customers because your competitor is offering a better deal. Saving is important and shoppers are doing their research. Valassis found that 53 percent of value-seeking consumers invest over two hours a week looking for deals and savings from all sources.
- Engage on mobile. Utilize mobile apps to build customer loyalty and target on-the-go consumers. Just because a small business might not have the same resources as a big box retailer, it doesn’t mean they can’t offer a mobile app or optimize their website and emails for mobile. Use the tools at your disposal to engage shoppers across mobile. Total Loyalty Solutions app-building software allows SMBs to compete on the same level as national brands, leveraging data to intelligently deliver mobile offers based on transaction history. Personalization and an enhanced customer experience are a win for both SMBs and consumers. Localflavor.com is another option, where local business can offer discounted deals.
- Build loyalty. Ensure you’re targeting your best shoppers by offering them rewards and perks. You appreciate their business so let them know – whether by offering loyalty card points, free shipping or a giveaway.
- Promote convenience. Remind your audience that you are the friendly neighborhood shop. They don’t need to travel far or wait in long lines for holiday shopping. Small businesses can also compete by providing excellent customer service and expertise which further enhances the shopping experience.
is a leader in intelligent media delivery, providing over 58,000 clients with innovative media solutions to influence consumers wherever they plan, shop, buy and share. By integrating online and offline data combined with powerful insights, Valassis precisely targets its clients’ most valuable shoppers, offering unparalleled reach and scale. NCH Marketing Services, Inc. and Clipper Magazine are Valassis subsidiaries, and RedPlum®
is its consumer brand. Its signature Have You Seen Me?®
program delivers hope to missing children and their families. As wholly owned subsidiaries of Harland Clarke Holdings
, Valassis and RetailMeNot
, a leading destination for digital savings, are partnering to connect retailers and consumers through meaningful digital, mobile and print promotions.